St. Peter's and St. Paul's Orthodox Church, Parumala (Parumala Pally) is a prominent parish church of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.
Parumala is a small stretch of land on the shores of the river Pampa. Malankara Metropolitan Joseph Mar Dionysius wanted to establish a seminary in this area. A plot of land with an area of 2 acres was donated by Arikupurathu Mathen Karnavar to the Malankara Metropolitan for this purpose.
An ordinary building called ‘Azhippura’ was soon built on this plot of land for conducting classes for the deacons etc. Syriac classes were begun here under the care of Fr.Yakob. In course of time, Metropolitan Mar Dionysius gave the charge of the seminary to Metropolitan Mar Gregorios (Later known as Parumala Thirumeni), in order to carry on the Syriac teaching sessions more efficiently and also to help him in other church matters.
Temporary church in Parumala was rebuilt by Mar Gregorios and consecrated in 1895.
Present church which can accommodate more than 2000 worshippers was designed by renowned architect Charles Correa. The new church is circular in design with an inner diameter of 39 meters. This circle is again divided into three segments by two chords of 16 meters length.His Holiness Baselios Mar Thoma Mathews II, Catholicos of the East laid the foundation stone of the new church on 19 March 1995.
The consecration rites of the new church was held on 27 October 2000 evening led by His Holiness the Catholicos. A public meeting held on 28th afternoon in connection with the consecration ceremony was attended by host of dignitaries including His Excellency P. C. Alexander, Governor of Maharashtra, Arch Bishop Nikitas (Greek Orthodox Church), Arch Bishop Aghan Balizion (Armenian Orthodox Church), Bishop Sarkissan (Armenian Orthodox Church) and several Bishops of the Malankara Orthodox Church and other sister churches and also leaders of other religions.
Parumala church is the tomb church of Saint Geevarghese Mar Gregorios or Parumala Thirumeni. He died on 2 November 1902 at the age of 54. The funeral was conducted at Parumala on 3 November 1902 in the presence of thousands of people and hundreds of priests. Many testimonies to the saintly intercession of Mar Gregorios made Parumala Church and the tomb a centre of pilgrimage.
In 1947 Mar Gregorios of blessed memory was declared a saint by the then Catholicos of the church, His Holiness Baselios Geevarghese II.