Analysis of soil says that during the first century, Niranam and the surrounding places were costal region. Probably, it was a place where the river joined the sea. Some historians are of the opinion that the name Niranam derived from an old name 'NeerMannu', which meant land with water. Presence of water bodies enabled travel through water and it is believed that the Apostle reached Niranam in a ship (it might be a big boat). During the 14 th century, there was a great flood and the geography of the area changed a lot because the sea retreated exposing a lot of land.
Even today, there is a place at Niranam, near Kolarayar - a tributary of River Pampa - named 'Thomathukadavu', which is supposed to be the spot where St. Thomas got down from the ship. The word 'Thomathukadavu' might have emerged from 'Thoma Vanna Kadavu', which means the jetty where Thomas came.
Niranam Church was the southern headquarters of the Orthodox Church in Kerala for centuries. Many of the Malankara Metropolitans (the chief bishops) ruled the church by staying here. The church is famous for its historical importance, loyalty to the Indian Orthodox Church, architectural beauty and some of its antiques. Almost all of the old churches in southern Kerala - whether belonging to Orthodox, Marthoma or Roman Catholic churches - were separated from this mother parish, during course of time. Niranam Church witnessed a number of historical events in the church history including the establishment of a Catholicate in the Indian Orthodox Church in 1912. The first Catholicose and second Catholicose of the church were ordained at Niranam Church (in 1912 and 1925). Four of the Malankara Metropolitans of the church passed away while staying here and two were buried here
Contact Address Niranam P O,Thiruvalla, Pathanamthitta District,Kerala, India.Pin - 689621 : 91 - 469 - 2611006 http://niranamchurch.com/